Fall Fly Fishing Middle Fork Salmon River
Fall Is For Fly Fishing The Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho
September can be one of the most invigorating times to do some Middle Fork Salmon River fly fishing. As summer closes, the clear waters begin cooling down, the heat subsides, and the river is emptied of floating traffic. And as the temperature cools, the water gets lower and slower – ideal fishing conditions.
Our September fly fishing trips are smaller and more personable than our Salmon River summer fly fishing trips. As the days start to get shorter and we have the whole Frank Church Wilderness Area nearly to ourselves, these trips take on a nostalgic and sportsman/sportswoman’s vibe.
As the Middle Fork Salmon River water levels change and cool, the wild cutthroats follow their native instincts to start packing on weight for the difficult winter looming ahead. September is their last chance to gorge themselves on large terrestrials and tasty surface hatches before the winter doldrums of midge subsistence sets in.
This is a special time for both guides and guests on the Middle Fork; our Salmon River Fishing Guides are excited to row you through the best Cutthroat fly fishing waters in the West. You will find them to be both knowledgeable leaders and wonderful companions, whether they’re sharing an exotic presentation technique, helping to improve an angler’s casting skills, cooking up one of our favorite dishes, or telling lively stories around the campfire.
Our trips are small and personable so they fill fast.
Duration and Pricing
6 Days, 5 Nights
$4,250 per person
Our trips are Full-Service and All-Inclusive!
All fees are included: 3% of adjusted revenue is for a commercial land use fee on National Forest Lands; and $4/person/day Recreation Enhancement Act Fee
The only things not included in the trip price are gratuities for our spectacular guide staff (typically 15% of the trip price), Trip Cancellation Insurance, and Airfare if water levels require a flight into our wilderness launch site.
We take bookings 2 years in advance, and often prime season trips fill 12 months in advance. It’s never too early to make a reservation.
- All fees are included: $4/day Recreation Enhancement Act Fee, and 3% of the company’s adjusted gross revenues are for a land use fee for operating commercially on National Forest Lands
- Round Trip transportation: Air and ground transportation provided from and to Stanley ID, except when low water requires a flight into the wilderness from Stanley
- Fresh and Gourmet Food: We fly fresh food into the wilderness so that we can have fresh produce, bread, and cookies until the last day of the trip
- Luxurious Camping Accommodations
- Professional Guiding and Full Service on and off the river
- All necessary gear, including: sleeping bag, deluxe wilderness mattress, life jacket, roomy four person tent for every two people, camp chairs, dining table, complimentary water resistant duffel for you personal gear (yours to keep), waterproof container for your day use items, eating utensils, drink cup, water bottle, plenty of ice, wine with dinner, and an ample supply of cold beverages.
- Premium Orvis fly fishing gear: rod, reel, and our go-to flies. If you have favorite rods and reels, please bring them along with hard cases. Read more.
All you will need are personal clothes and items, toiletries, personal liquor, and a fishing license, if applicable. (We will provide you with a pack list of the clothes you will need). Solitude provides all camping gear, sleeping bags, pillows, cots, wilderness mattresses, a mug, and a water bottle. Solitude will also provide you with a personal river Duffel for the trip, which is yours at the end of the trip!
We are happy to furnish you with rods, reels, line, flies, and all other fishing gear. This is complimentary, and our gear is new, top-of-the-line Orvis equipment.
What Our Guests Are Saying
Highly recommend this company Just finished a Middle Fork trip with Solitude. The guides were amazing, the food was spectacular and the Middle Fork is unforgettable. Absolutely impressed with every aspect of the trip and the guides' preparation, expertise, and professionalism. I highly recommend this company.Chip11/09/2020
Everyone Needs Solitude River Time The absolutely best combination of guides, scenery, whitewater, and of course flyfishing. From novice to advanced the middle fork offers great flyfishing, particularly with Solitude River Trips. I can't say enough positive superlatives about Willi and his Solitude crew. I will be returning again next year for the 4th time.Moman9/01/2020
Solitude made it a fantastic trip for our teens and adults! A Bucket List Trip that Exceeded Expectations for our Entire Family - We'll Be Back! We had an amazing 5 nights/6 days on the Middle Fork. The wilderness is pristine and the river is beautiful. We traveled with our two families and Solitude made it a fantastic trip for... read moreChris8/01/2020
Very safe outfit Solitude is awesome. The guides were great. Super friendly. The food was really good. They were accommodating about dietary needs. They were a very safe outfit which made my wife happy. My daughter and I had a blast river kayaking as well. ... read moreBrian7/01/2020
Perfect Pandemic Getaway! It is difficult to find sufficient superlatives to describe spending a week on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in the care of the Solitude Team. The river is wild and diverse offering something new every day. The guide team is experienced in safety on the river and comfort... read moreMedgal7/01/2020