Guided Salmon River Fly Fishing & Bird Hunting – Cast & Blast
In October we offer a unique Cast & Blast experience on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. This could be considered our most “wild” trip of the season, when we’re the only group out there, and the high peaks along the Middle Fork have often seen their first blanketing of snow for the season. Starting near mile 50, we will spend 6 days moving slowly through the lower half of the canyon. The first 3-4 days are generally more focused on hunting riverside benches, while the last 2-3 days are more focused on fly fishing in the deep Impassable Canyon, however we have the opportunity to do both hunting and fishing every day of the trip.
This trip is recommended for a group of experienced upland bird hunters who are passionate about seeing one of the most remote, rugged and pristine wilderness rivers in the world. Be prepared for both glorious fall days as well as cool air temps. Expect Solitude River Trip’s highly acclaimed glamping accommodations, gourmet meals, and professional guides. This is truly a trip of a lifetime.
About the Hunting: The Middle Fork canyon holds one of the healthiest populations of Chukar in Idaho. Most of our time hunting is spent on riverside benches that connect the chukar’s roosting zones with their daytime source of water and food. Some flats are riverside and trail accessed, while other opportunities require tromping through the rugged Idaho canyon. Most locations along the Middle Fork allow you to pick your own adventure. When we arrive at camp, ample opportunities for hunting ruffed, sharp tail, and spruce grouse on nearby ridges and riparian zones.
Hunting Dogs: We encourage you to bring a dog, although we recommend that your dog be able to handle riding in a small plane and in a boat. We have never had an incident with a rattle snake, but we do recommend that your dog is either snake savvy or vaccinated.
Our river trips are small and personable so they fill fast.
Duration and Pricing
Departure Dates & Duration
October 1st (6 Days, 5 Nights)
October 2nd (6 Days, 5 Nights)
$4,550 per person
Group Size: 8 (minimum) – 12 (maximum) cast & blast seats, with additional scenic float seats available. If you have non-hunters in your group, they are welcome to join the cast & blast trip for a fly fishing focused experience. Private groups are encouraged, however we are happy to do mixed groups as we do in many of our fly fishing trips.
We take bookings 2 years in advance, and often prime season trips fill 12 months in advance. It’s never too early to make a reservation.
- All fees are included: $4/day Recreation Enhancement Act Fee, and 3% of the company’s adjusted gross revenues are for a land use fee for operating commercially on National Forest Lands. The only things not included in the trip price are gratuities for our spectacular guide staff (typically 15% of the trip price), Trip Cancellation Insurance, and Airfare if water levels require a flight into our wilderness launch site. We do offer a Student Discount: $280.00 (Age 15 or younger).
- Round Trip transportation: Air and ground transportation provided from and to Stanley ID, except when low water requires a flight into the wilderness from Stanley
- Fresh and Gourmet Food: We fly fresh food into the wilderness so that we can have fresh produce, bread, and cookies until the last day of the trip
- Luxurious Camping Accommodations
- Professional Guiding and Full Service on and off the river
- All necessary gear, including: sleeping bag, deluxe wilderness mattress, life jacket, roomy four person tent for every two people, camp chairs, dining table, complimentary water resistant duffel for you personal gear (yours to keep), waterproof container for your day use items, eating utensils, drink cup, water bottle, plenty of ice, wine with dinner, and an ample supply of cold beverages.
- Premium Orvis fly fishing gear: rod, reel, and our go-to flies. If you have favorite rods and reels, please bring them along with hard cases. Read more.
All you will need are personal clothes and items, toiletries, personal liquor, and a fishing license, if applicable. (We will provide you with a pack list of the clothes you will need). Solitude provides all camping gear, sleeping bags, pillows, cots, wilderness mattresses, a mug, and a water bottle. Solitude will also provide you with a personal river Duffel for the trip, which is yours at the end of the trip!
We are happy to furnish you with rods, reels, line, flies, and all other fishing gear. This is complimentary, and our gear is new, top-of-the-line Orvis equipment.
Our fishing season is at the end of June until October. There are a few things to consider when planning a fishing trip on the Middle Fork. During our July – August trips, you will
Flying In: When water levels reach a certain point, we will start our trips at our wilderness launch point. This means flying into the wilderness from Stanley. (Airfare not included in trip price, approximately $120.00/person). Typically we need to fly in on our August 2nd trip and onward, although this is completely water level dependent and is hard to predict until spring time. Flights are incredibly memorable and scenic.
Our Boats: We use both MacKenzie style drift boats and Custom Fishing Rafts. We use fishing rafts all season, and the best time to float the Middle Fork in a drift boat is July and early August.
The best time to float depends on what you are looking for in a wilderness fly fishing experience. Please contact us with any questions about planning the best trip for your party.